Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Post swarm check

Wednesday June 27. Overcast, breezy, 74 degrees. My hive swarmed on Sunday the 24th, so I needed to go in and check for a new queen in the remaining colony, since the old one would have left with the swarm. They started out at the beginning of this month as a 4 frame nuc colony, and as of today have expanded to about 8 frames. The last two on the right side are still empty, and the last one on the left is just beginning to have comb drawn. On this check, I saw a lot of new drone cells, a lot of old empty cells in one frame in the middle, and a full frame of new capped brood on another frame. I was busy looking for the queen, but did not find one. I am disappointed at having them swarm, and the loss of so many bees, but my hive still seems to be going strong with the remaining bees, so time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment