Saturday, April 14, 2012

Learning


WARNING!! This post contains language about Kenyan Top Bar Hives that some beekeepers may find offensive!

One factor that has made itself incredibly clear is that, every beekeeper does things a little differently.  And most of the beekeepers I've met, at least those a generation or two older than I, believe the way that they do it is the RIGHT way and any other way won't work!  I have a keen interest in Kenyan Top Bar Hives.  These are simple hives that were designed to be used in third world countries.  They're inexpensive to build, and give people in developing countries a steady source of income without having to shell out hundreds of dollars to get started.  That concept intrigued me, so Sue and I decided that we would do two hives; she would purchase a traditional Langstroth Hive,


and I would build a top bar hive (TBH).    Whenever I've mentioned this to other beekeepers, they've poo poo'd the idea.  "It won't work."  "Good luck with that."  "It's a mistake." "I won't even discuss top bar hives with you."  These are just some of the responses I've gotten.  Many beekeepers here in Maine are less than enamored with a business person that recently started a local TBH company.  Why, I'm not sure.  But the change in the tone of the discussion is palpable when the subject turns to TBH management.  I like to think I'm open minded, or maybe it's just that I like to think I can do things that people tell me I can't!  So I went ahead and built my TBH.  Here it is:


I made it entirely from scrap wood I had around the farm.  Even the cedar shakes on the roof were scrap I had upstairs in the barn for probably ten years or more!  Sue needles me because I'm a "saver".  But here's that 1 in 1000 time that I used something I had saved!  She's right about most of the stuff I save, and this probably won't happen again for at least another ten years!

The only things I purchased were 1/4" hardware cloth for the bottom screen, four corks for the entrance holes, a quart of mismatched paint, and a small bottle of Gorilla Glue.  Total investment: $22.00 and one weekend.

The hive details:  I used 1X6 tongue & groove primarily to build the hive body, which is 4' L X 18" W X 20"T.  The side walls are mounted at a 15 degree down angle.  Inside there is a "follower board" that restricts the space the bees can use inside the hive, and there are 30 top bars that are 1 1/2" wide by 15 1/2" long.  I stapled all natural sisal twin along the undersides of the top bars and brushed them with melted beeswax that a friend gave me.  This gives the bees some guidance as to where to start drawing comb.  I'll show more details and post more photos or videos showing the parts of the hive later on.  The hive is placed on the southeast side of an outbuilding so it get's sun all day.  It's sitting on a crib work of 6X6 hemlock cutoffs that were left over from the 1999 construction of the building.  Glad I saved these!!

Like with all the other creatures on our farm, the bees will be given everything they need to survive, even thrive, in the TBH.  I left room behind it so that when winter comes, I can stack straw bales around it to insulate the hive and protect it from winter winds.  I don't know if this will work, I hope it will.  But at least, unlike many of my fellow beekeepers, I'm going to try, before I say it won't!

No comments:

Post a Comment