Sunday, April 15, 2012

Putting in the top bars, and an exciting discovery!

This morning my tasks were to put the remaining top bars and some sugar cake in the hive.  When I installed the bees, I put just half of the bars on and placed the follower board behind those.  I did this to restrict the bees hive space so that they wouldn't be building comb randomly, all over the place.  Here's what the inside of the hive looked like before:


You can see the white follower board on the left side, and to the right are the top bars I previously installed.  It's pretty warm today, and the location of the hive gets a lot of sun, so the bees were more active than I would have liked.  I wanted to take out the feeder that I put inside the hive when I installed the bees, but they were getting agitated, so I'll have to do that on a cooler day.  This was my second time working with them, and I still haven't been stung!  KNOCK ON WOOD!

Here's what the hive looks like with all of the top bars and the sugar cake installed.  I've moved all of the top bars as far left as they can go, which leaves some "bee space" at the far right side so the bees can come up and eat the sugar cake.  The raised bar you see in the middle of the picture is the follower board.


AN EXCITING DISCOVERY!

In my attempt to retrieve the feeder that is inside the hive, look what I found!



In my hand, I'm holding top bar #14.  Look at that BEAUTIFUL, snow white, new comb!  I was so excited I almost dropped the top bar!  The bees have been in the hive for just two days!

 As an aside, I should tell you that I've numbered the top bar slots so that I can keep record of what happens where in the hive.  I'll be recording in which top bar slots brood is laid, where pollen is stored, where honey is stored, which bars of honey get harvested, and any other information.  I numbered the top bar slots, not the top bars themselves, because there will be times when I need to move bars around.

So that's probably all I'll be posting for now.  Unless there are some interesting  events I need to record, the next time I will go into the hive will be in 7 - 10 days.  I'll need to make sure the queen has been released from her cage, and I'm going to try again to retrieve that feeder!




No comments:

Post a Comment